Saturday, October 11, 2008

Heber Cross/Big Springs

Big Springs is perfect right now. The trail is packed and hard the turns somehow are no longer washed out but nice and semi-bermed. The whole descent is so fast and curvy, especially the first 400m or so on top. I've been up there twice this week and would ride it all day if I could. With a decent amount of rain it will probably be great all next week too...

Heber Cross was today. Heber was the first venue I ever raced 'cross at and was my best finish last year. Last year it was super muddy and thick, this year it was ice cold and the course was hard and firm in most places. 33 degrees and snow was the situation, but luckily the snow let up before my race. So we raced in 33 and dry, which I've decided is much better than 50 and wet (like last week). Because of my 7th place finish last week I got "called up" and got a front row starting spot, which was great and I got a good start. The first set of barriers came up quick and I was the prime spot to watch the holeshot rider turf it over the first barrier and land on the second one. It looked super painful! Luckily the rider was okay, and being the fast guy he is, recovered and still won the race. Wow. The race was super fun and I was actually in a group this race which meant we all just kept passing each other and passing each other back. It was a tough course with a lot of sticky flat sections that we had to power through. I was so grateful for any turn to recover a bit on and usually get a bit ahead of whoever was right on my tail. There were three of us right by each other at the end which meant a sprint finish, which felt much better than crawling across the finish line like last week. Fun fun fun! Sorry no pics, Ash is in California.

2 comments:

fam-man said...

nice work Kyle. I can't wait to get to see you race. that 16 lb bike seems to be doing you well.

Wart said...

Thanks for the support in my race! Sorry I had to get back to work and couldn't come glory with you in your very solid performance!! Good race!