Monday, May 4, 2009

Mud, Flats, and Rock'n'Roll









The ho-down at 5 mile pass was last weekend. It rained all night and morning before the race. They shortened the race from an 11 mile loop to a 4 mile loop. My category did 3 laps.

2 miles into the race I was all excited coz Dan, Racer, and I were all in a row, like ducks. Then my rear tire started going flat. Then my front tire started going flat. Then I thought the rear one sealed up so I kept riding. It didn't. So I stopped and fixed it. Which pretty much put me out of contention for anything but last place in a race this short. Then I thought the front one sealed up so I kept riding. it didn't. So I walked/rolled into the start area where I got some air in my tires. I though the front one sealed up so I started lap 2. It didn't, and slowly leaked as I rode with the leader of my category, who was starting his last lap. Then I had to start being really careful coz the tire was so low. Then the bead popped off and I lost all pressure. So I walked through the mud to the start line. Where I stole Chad's wheel (Thanks, Chad). Then I rode my last lap. Without incident. Too bad everyone else was already finished.

That makes 4 or 5 flats in three races, and at least one mechanical in every ICup race this year. No worries, we'll figure this tire crap out and get a good finish soon.

The race pics Ash took are funny. Here are a few of other racers:


Here are a few "action" shots of me:Yup those are mid race photos. Sweet. Racer flatted too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see mud, I see flats, but I dont see any rock and roll.

Racer Jared said...

you can see all the sealant dripping out of my tire

Tim and Sara said...

so sad kyle. you can borrow my bike if you need something more reliable ;)