Saturday, December 5, 2009

Roadie BMX

Last night at the races, while staging for a moto, a kid asked me how I got Dura-Ace cranks to fit on my bike. I looked down, saw them, and exclaimed "Woah, how'd those get on there???

Those are for roadie bikes!" It's no secret that DA 7800 cranks are some of the prettiest ever. And, as Calvin says, if you're not fast, you better look good. And, since I had a pair of these beauties "just laying around," I figured, why not. Plus, those stock BMX cranks are heavy, like 1300 grams. These suckers cut my rotating crank weight in half! And, it only took about 2 hours, 2 bent wrenches, a drill driver, an air cutter, a grinder, and a 4 foot long jimmy-bar to do it. Well, that was just to get the BMX cranks off. The dura ace cranks went on pretty smoothly after that. Just install the BB, crank, check chainstay clearances, remove BB, install spacers and BB, install crank, check cleareances and spindle offset, rinse and repeat. But yeah, they fit. They're light. And they look really good. The Ultegra post is a nice addition too. Road parts are for BMX bikes too.



2 comments:

South County Ciclista said...

They do look much better than the black cranks you were beating on when I left.

Dan said...

h-what? h-wait? cranks count as rotating weight?