Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Earn Your Turns 2: 2 Flats 1 Tube

I enjoyed Squaw Peak so much last Thursday. So much, that I decided to do it again today. So I did. The climb was a little less enjoyable. As was the descent.

100 yards into the ride, I heard a rock hit my bash guard, which meant my front tire had kicked it up. It wasn't a light hit either, it was a definite thud. By the time I got through a somewhat technical ledge, my rear tire was flat. A definite pinch flat. So I fixed it and got going again.

By the time I got to the jump section, about 2/3 of the way down and after all the fun parts, I was washing out on every turn. My front tire had about 10 psi of air in it. I had seen the thorn at the top, but didn't do anything about it. (Apparently I think I've already converted this bike to tubeless and figured it would just go away if I left it. It didn't. I rode about one mile on dirt, and three on pavement, home on a flat front tire. Thank heavens for strong rims, even though It took it very easy. I definitely babied it. Hopefully, the tire is okay.

Ash called the ranger's station and they said they don't usually open the road until after Memorial Day, which means no more downhill till Sundance opens on May 17th. Dang it.

0 comments: