Monday, April 19, 2010

Arizona State University

So, it's decided. We are going to Arizona. I'll be attending law school at ASU in Tempe. Pretty rad. 2 weeks ago I visited the University of Colorado in Boulder and ASU. I was really impressed with the city of Boulder, and the campus. Not so much with the school itself though. ASU was sort of the opposite. The law school is housed in an older building that reminds me of the Flinstones, or a dinosaur museum. The law library is new and very nice however. The program however blew me away. Tons of clinical opportunities, a great legal writing program, low student to professor ratio, and a dean with a really progressive mindset. The scholarship offer was pretty nice, too. It kind of took Boulder out of the occasion as it will make ASU only slightly more expensive than BYU, tuition-wise. Ash and I were already leaning towards Arizona, but the visit sealed the deal.

That is saying a lot, considering my day prior to the campus visit, during which my rental had a flat tire, which I changed, but caused me to be late to a reception that night.

Arizona State seems like a great option, and we are so excited! We'll be moving in August-ish sometime, so we'll be sure to savor our summer in Utah.

PS: Like a million people have already told us how dreadfully hot the summers are in Phoenix. So, we've got that. But you can still remind us if you want to.

5 comments:

Tim said...

so hotttttttttt there!!!!! don't forget your sunblock

South County Ciclista said...

I lived there for a year. I loved the heat. I still don't know why people say it is bad. At least you can still ride your bike year round even in the hot summer. Just jump in the pool after.

tenszczur said...

I usually don't even comment on blogs of people I know, but here I am commenting on a stranger's blog. I'm not sure how I ended up here - I think from another Utah bike website or blog. Anyway, I noticed you're moving to the desert for law school. I'm just wrapping up my second year here at ASU law school (should be finishing a paper right now). I ride regularly on the dirt and commute by bike to school and work on the road. Let me know if you have any questions about law school at ASU or riding bikes in AZ. And if you're weirded out by this random act of blog-stockage, feel free not to respond.

Kyle said...

tenszczur: thanks for commenting. How far is your commute? Is there a good way to get to ASU by bike or is there just traffic everywhere? I tried to scout a decent route when I was there last month but didn't have much time and was pretty lost anyway. I'm definitely hoping I can bike into school. How's the mountain biking? Not that I'll have time for it... Will I be okay on my rigid single speed? Also, do you use a mac or a pc at school? I'm considering both. I used a PC during my undergrad but use a mac at work. I have to get a new laptop regardless. Thanks!!!

tenszczur said...

I live east of campus in Mesa and my commute is about 10 miles each way. I didn't commute by bike my first year because there were too many convenient excuses...bike theft, too far, too many books, too hot without a shower. (In retrospect, it would have been easier to keep my sanity had I spent more time on the bike first year). This year a great facility got rid of most of my excuses for not riding to school. Check it out: www.thebicyclecellar.com. The traffic is ok on my route, and there's a canal bike path for part of it, but school is in the center of the Valley, so it's a pretty congested area. The mountain biking is great, but totally different scenery from UT, as you can imagine. I ride in East Mesa mostly, at Hawes Loop. It's rocky, but my friend rides a rigid 29'er on even the most technical trails out there. The trails are rolling, so it's great for a ss. Depending on where you choose to live, there are also good trails west of campus at South Mountain. I use a PC at school because I was told there would be added headaches and expenses for test software on a Mac. Quite a few people still use macs though, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I just got the Dell that the support staff recommended and it's been good...guess it just comes down to personal preference. Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any more questions.