Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dana Point Crit - hopefully this video stays up.

Dana Point is a beautiful area in Southern California. For me, it marks my failed attempt of surfing. However, this past week there was an NRC criterium (the pro level crit series in the US) there. Apparently there was a bit of drama. With five laps to go there was a big crash. The issue is whether Bahati (#5, the guy interviewed in the middle of the video) was intentionally crashed out, or whether his crash was due to "poor bike handling skills." I have my opinions. Let me know yours.

Video at: http://www.insidecyclingtv.com/videos/129/dana-point-grand-prix

4 comments:

JZ said...

Although you can't see it in that video, I would guess that the UHC rider was leaning on Bahati attempting to move him out of position (and Bahati was probably pushing back) and then Bahati moved away and the UHC rider with nothing to lean against couldn't stay upright and swerved in front of Bahati as we see in the video. I would highly doubt a deliberate take-out, but there was definitely some rough/stupid riding going on.

JZ said...

I just watched again and I think I am wrong. That isn't the UHC rider diving I don't think.

Tim said...

yeah, Bahati can't steer. he needs to go back to training wheels.

Spencer said...

Wow! that was quite the swerve. It looks so unnatural that I doubt it was intentional. By the way, did you see the part where Bahati walks out into the road and throws his sunglasses at one of the UHC riders? Awesome. Poor guy obviously had a lot of emotion with the loss of his teammate earlier in the week.