Thursday, January 7, 2010

Booties

A couple weeks ago on the group ride, Jason asked me if I duct-taped my shoe covers to make them wind proof. While that was a secondary benefit, I taped them because the soles are worn out. I've spent the early spring and late fall mountain biking in them and have worn away all of the bottom of the cover. If I don't tape them they flop up over my toes.
These have lasted longer than most of my bike gear, this is the 4th winter, and they're still going strong. (as long as I tape them...)

Two seasons ago I bought some mountain specific booties. I never used them coz I got a size to big. I passed them along to Dan, who passed them along to Chuck, who passed them along to Greggy. I noticed Greg wearing them on the aforementioned ride. Maybe some of those in the right size would be a good investment for mountain biking when these Descente's finally hit the dust. For now though, these taped Descente's are perfect for the dirt bike. Especially with the right tape.
There are a few different varieties of duct tape. There's that really cheap stuff that barely sticks and tears super easy. The 3M stuff has long been my favorite, Pretty sticky and tough. But last time I bought a role they didn't have 3M. So I went with this black stuff, which is pretty cool, becasue it matches my shoe covers and doesn't stick out as bad. This stuff is stickier than chewed gum on the sidewalk on a hot summer day. It's almost too sticky, and is very hard to tear. But it still doesn't leave residue when it comes off. Suh-weet.

0 comments: