Friday, January 25, 2008

Commuting to Work

For about the last month I have felt guilty of not bike commuting. It doesn't matter that it's only 15 degrees when I leave in the mornings, or that it has been 15 degrees or snowing when I leave school. I rode in that stuff last year, and now for some reason, "having class" is a reasonable excuse for not riding. Well, yesterday morning, I felt like biking the 8 or so miles to school. It wasn't that cold, or that far in the cold, for that matter. But I drove. Walking outside and turning a key and riding in a warm car is so easy. Well, in possibly the most guilt-striking moment of my life, I saw a fellow cyclist/friend/rival/bowling instructor/only one who reads this blog riding to school as I parked my car. Wow, I thought, That looks cold. Good thing he only lives 4 blocks from campus. And that's what I told him. His reply was, and I quote: "Not to split hairs, but its actually 4 miles..." Oh crap, I thought, during the second most guilt-striking moment of my life, he just moved... So that afternoon, I decided that I would not be outdone...

I decided I would commute to work. And this is how, fellow cyclist, I outdid you:

1. You were on your XC 29er. A nice, efficient bike. I rode my 35 pound, inefficient downhill bike. I even switched the propedal off. My tires weigh more than your tires and wheels.

2. Your bike has an efficient body position. My low seat position is comfortable, but far from efficient. It is also bad for my knees.

3. I was wearing more clothes than you were. I had no less than 5 layers on the top. More layers equals more weight. Plus, being so bundled up and working so hard on my inefficient bike made me sweat a lot.

4. You probably only had the books you needed for the day in your messenger bag. It looked pretty empty to me. I had all of my textbooks, and my laptop in my bag.

5. You were riding on the road, where the snow had cleared. Friend, that is what road bikes are for. If you commute on a mountain bike you should be willing to ride in the snow crud on the side of the road. I did. In fact, I aimed for it. I also took a trip through the park and 8 inches of snow on the grass.

6. Okay, rival, do you see that I'm tougher than you now? My commute was so difficult. Of course I'm going to leave out the fact that my commute to work is 1.1 miles long. We will leave out the fact that you have probably ridden more this week than I have in the last six months. We will leave out the fact that you could crush my body with your bare hands, and leave it on the side of the road, bloody and mangled, and of course that you could shove my face into your cogs and then use my teeth as decorations on your bike. We will leave out the fact that you have more bikes than I do spokes, and that you somehow figure out how to ride them all. It would be neat if you could ride them all at once.

Yes, fellow commuter, you are tough. And you have inspired me. I am going to commute to school too. Then my commute actually will be tough. I'm going to train. And lift. Then, if I'm lucky, I may be quick enough to eat your dust, instead of lagging so far behind that it has already settled.

P.S. Friend, I am saving my pennies, one at a time, so I can someday own a 29er too. Then I will be a little bit more like you.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Dude,
I read this at midnight, and couldn't help but laugh insanely loud. Great use of links to pictures and maps. Thoroughly entertaining. However the commute war is on. I am going to ride 2 bikes to school on Monday. The road bike will get the snow cleared road, and the XC mountain bike will get the snow drifts. I figure together they weight about the same as that all terain TT bike you tried to sell me a while ago

Skull Candy Mountain Team said...

not to brag you two, but I rode a single speed foldie bike from Taiwan while towing 5 children and 15 stuffed animals wearing moon boots. You two a such an inspiration to get out there and ride. Keep up the good work