Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Helmets are good, great, and wonderful


Helmets save lives. If anyone doesn't believe me, they should be shot. Or allowed to ride until they find out firsthandedly that helmets really do save lives. Either way they'd die.

Let me tell you about my history:

1- When I was in 2nd grade I crashed on my 70's style bmxer going down the wordperfect hill in Orem. I was trying to keep up with dad. I broke my jaw, got stitches across my chin, and had 3 inch square road rashes on my elbows and knees. Luckily, I was wearing a kiddie helmet and the top half of my head... and more importantly the grey stuff inside, came out unscathed.

2- I was riding on the road when I was 18. A big, lifted pickup stopped at a stop sign, and I had the right of way(it was a 2 way stop). The driver "thought I was going slower than I was" and went, right as I crossed in front of him. Luckily for my body, his front wheel got to my rear wheel right as I hit the grill of his truck. Lineman style. (Football and bikes mix like oil and water). Unluckily for my head, his front wheel got to my rear wheel first and whiplashed my head to the ground. Helmet cracked in two, I walked away unhurt.

3- Wakeboarding, post mission - crashed head first, board came around and caught the back of my head. Stitches. Also happened to my sister and my cousin within 1 year. Helmets are cheaper than stitches.

4- Sundance Spin, Intermountain Cup 2006 - I was leading the sport category. Endo-ed on a sketchy descent landing on my head. Finishing second with a cracked helmet is better than a bloody concussion (as in a concussion and a lot of blood, not as in "I'm English").



Which brings us to now. I know, I know. By now you're all thinking that I should be a rep for Bell, or at least a spokesperson. Before I go any further, I'm not saying helmets are for every occasion. One time I went golfing with my cousins and my aunt made one of my cousins wear a helmet ( he was suffering from a very serious concussion). Now, I don't think that's necessarily necessary, but a lot of times helmets are good. Biking, wakeboarding, longboarding, motorcycling, racing cars, playing football, snowboarding, etc. are all good sports to wear a helmet during. This brings us to...

5-Now, I wouldn't have imagined wearing a helmet snowboarding, but my wife insists. Good thing too, since I avoided two concussions this weekend by wearing one. First, I caught an edge at Sundance on rough snow that was underlying the 3-4 inches of nice smooth powder. And landed on my head. Second, I hit a sweet jump at Park City on Saturday but the tail end of my board caught a branch during takeoff, whipping, again, my head into the ground. The second one hurt worse than the first, and I almost decided to walk down the mountain. I didn't. I boarded the pain away. I still thought I had a concussion, even when I got home. Which reminded me again of why helmets are good.

Helmets are good. If you still don't believe me, well, then you should. Helmets are good. Do you believe me now?

0 comments: